I maintain the cygwin distribution's "cvs" package. Attached is a
tarball containing the changes currently used in our version, against
cvs's ccvs repository. These changes should be non-disruptive to other
platforms, although you may decide to move the AC_ARG_WITH([gdbm], ...)
outside the 'if cygwin' block; it could be useful on other platforms.
A full changelog is appended.
The tarball contains four files:
changes to original source files -- but not autotool-generated files
changes to autotool-generated files that are caused by the modifications
in -primary. I was using automake-1.6.1 and autoconf-2.53a.
Two new files that should go into the src/ subdirectory.
These gdbm_ files were necessary because on cygwin, if the user hosts a
repository on a FAT drive (FAT does not support hardlinks, NTFS does),
then she is limited to flat-file databases (myndbm). This is because
cygwin's ndbm support is provided by gdbm -- and gdbm's ndbm emulation
relies on hardlinking foo.pag and foo.dir. Our solution was to use
'gdbm_open', which needs only a single (.db) file, instead of libgdbm's
'dbm_open' (which would trigger the ndbm emulation mode and hardlink
failure). However, the remaining dbm_ calls can stay mapped to the ones
provided by libgdbm. Hence, we "wrap" dbm_open, but thunk dbm_<not open>.
Other changes: autoconfigury to support the --with-gdbm argument,
cosmetic __CYGWIN32__ to __CYGWIN__ changes.
We've been using the basics of this scheme for over 18 months now,
against cvs-1.11.0, and it works pretty well.
I recently ported our changes up to cvs-1.11.2. Many of the changes
that I found were necessary to 1.11.2 I later discovered you had already
done in ccvs-HEAD. Oh well. So, my new port of cvs-1.11.2 -- even
though it uses the same gdbm stuff described above which has been a part
of the cygwin-1.11.0 port for 18 moths -- has itself been less
thoroughly tested than the well-seasoned 1.11.0 version. However, it
DOES pass almost all of the sanity checks (cygwin-special-cvs-1.11.2
performs better than cygwin-special-cvs-1.11.0, actually). There are
only five :local: failures:
local, join-readonly-conflict (subtest join-readonly-conflict-10)
local, modules (subtest modules-148a0)
local, modules6 (subtest modules6-1)
local, binfiles3 (subtest binfiles3-11)
expected. 'admin -o' is disabled on windows/cygwin
local, errmsg1 (subtest 168)
and five remote (:fork:) failures
remote, modules (subtest modules-148a0)
remote, modules6 (subtest modules6-1)
remote, binfiles3 (subtest binfiles3-11)
again, expected. 'admin -o' is disabled on windows/cygwin
remote, errmsg1 (subtest 168)
when testing in remote mode, crerepos uses :ext: instead of
:fork:. Therefore, I expect to fail, because I didn't have
For the cygwin platform, that's really good.
Extremely pleased with my work, I rushed over here to give you guys my
patches -- and discovered that a lot has changed in ccvs since April 17
when 1.11.2 was released. So, I RE-updated the cygwin changes to apply
cleanly to ccvs-HEAD. It builds fine -- on cygwin -- and I expect
similar test results as above. But that takes hours and it hasn't
Please let me know if there is anything further I need to do, to help
you guys incorporate these changes. (sign a copyright assignment, etc).
Oh, and pls CC: me on replies as I am not subscribed to this list.
2002-05-20 Charles Wilson <address@hidden>
* acinclude.m4: define macros for --enable-encryption,
--enable-server, and --enable-client, using code from
configure.in. Also, define a new macro for --with-gdbm,
used in the cygwin port.
* configure.in: Use the four macros defined above. Also,
use AC_DEFUN() instead of define() for WITH_KRB4. Replace
refenences to cygwin32 with cygwin.
* src/Makefile.am: add gdbm_wrap.c and gdbm_wrap.h to the
* src/cvs.h: Make accomodations for --with-gdbm; use
gdbm_wrap.h instead of myndbm.h or ndbm.h when appropriate. Use
CAPITALIZED names for dbm_ functions, to avoid conflict with any
* src/mkmodules.c: use DBM_CLOSE instead of dbm_close, etc.
When --with-gdbm, database files end in .db, not .pag.
* src/modules.c: use DBM_CLOSE instead of dbm_close, etc.
* src/tag.c: use DBM_CLOSE instead of dbm_close, etc.
* src/myndbm.h: instead of REdefining dbm_open to mydbm_open,
define DBM_OPEN as mydbm_open, etc.
* src/gdbm_wrap.c: new file. Implements wrap_gdbm_open,
which calls libgdbm's 'gdbm_open' after building the correct
filename. Does NOT use libgdbm's ndbm emulation layer.
* src/gdbm_wrap.h: define DBM_OPEN as wrap_gdbm_open, but
define other DBM_*() to dbm_* so that libgdbm's versions
are used directly.
* src/options.h: make accomoations for --with-gdbm.
* lib/system.h: change __CYGWIN32__ to __CYGWIN__
* src/rcs.c: change __CYGWIN32__ to __CYGWIN__
* windows-NT/README: change CYGWIN32 to CYGWIN.
* aclocal.m4: regenerate
* config.h.in: regenerate
* configure: regenerate
* src/Makefile.in: regenerate