bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC problems on w32

From: Dieter Deyke
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: VLC problems on w32
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:10:59 -0700

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> Dieter Deyke <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> I played a little with running VLC is a command window, and I have
>> noticed that
>>
>> - it will output to stdout
>>
>> - it will read on stdin
>
> Maybe it reads from the terminal window.  I'm not exactly
> sure what the difference is on Windows, but on Unix you
> could read either from stdin or from `/dev/tty'.  If you ran
> the application interactively in a terminal window, it would
> behave the same no matter which of those you chose.  But as
> soon as you redirected standard input or ran the program
> without a controlling terminal (like Bongo does), you would
> see that the former would work while the latter would fail.
>
>> - it will quit when I type quit
>
> That's reassuring.
>
>> but only if I first change directory to the VLC installation directory.
>> If I run VLC from some other current directory I just get an error
>> message.  Now I am not sure that all this is relevant here, but it is
>> something we could try.
>
> Interesting.  What error message do you get if you run VLC
> from some other directory?

Installation dir:

[00000288] rc interface: VLC media player - version 0.8.6a Janus - (c) 1996-2007
 the VideoLAN team
[00000288] rc interface:
Warning: if you can't access the GUI anymore, open a command-line window, go to
the directory where you installed VLC and run "vlc -I wx"

Remote control interface initialized. Type `help' for help.

Some other directory:

The command line options couldn't be loaded, check that they are valid.

Press the RETURN key to continue...

The command used to start VLC was the same in both cases:

vlc -I rc --rc-fake-tty  "\Cassettes\C120-01\Barry Mcguire - Eve Of
Destruction.mp3"

With respect to stdin vs /dev/tty: you might have guessed right here.
I wrote a little python program to test this:

import os
import time
os.chdir("/program files/videolan/vlc")
f = os.popen('vlc -I rc --rc-fake-tty "\\Cassettes\\C120-01\\Barry Mcguire -
Eve Of Destruction.mp3"', "w")
time.sleep(10)
f.write("quit")
print "vlc should now be stopped"
time.sleep(10)

This program did start VLC OK, but failed to make it stop after 10 seconds.

--
Dieter Deyke