bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] Re: bongo.el --- flexible and usable media player

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] Re: bongo.el --- flexible and usable media player
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 07:56:22 +0100

[Please keep RMS on CC for this thread.]

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I guess this attitude is what RMS has a problem with.
>> He's saying we should boycott mplayer until they start
>> caring about software freedom.
>
> I don't think it's fair to say that they don't care about software
> freedom at all, and I'm quite sure that is not what RMS said.

Richard, have you talked to them about this issue?

If they do care about software freedom, then they might
listen to you.  You would not be asking them to remove the
binary loader altogether; you would just be asking them to
stop recommending the non-free codecs to users.

I think they deserve a chance.  If they don't want to change,
then we can concentrate on promoting alternatives.

> I do agree with you that Bongo can (and should) take extra care about
> issues of freedom, or even taking a stance so to speak, whether or not
> part of Emacs. It is necessary to raise awareness of the problems with
> non-free multimedia software, and it's a good thing this was brought
> up for discussion.

I'm glad to hear that.  How do you feel about removing MPlayer
support from Bongo?  Do you think it would be worthwhile?

> By the way, was Lars Öhrman contacted about copyright assignment?

No.  I have coffee with him regularly, though, so it would be
easy to get his signature if we add his name to the contract.

I'll do that, and then send the contract to you, Daniel.
Could you give me your snail mail adress?

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>