bongo-devel

Re: [bongo-devel] dvb and dvd

From: Daniel Brockman
Subject: Re: [bongo-devel] dvb and dvd
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:38:22 +0100

address@hidden (Daniel Jensen) writes:

> Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I would like ask if will be possible extend bongo for dvb
>>> and dvd playing?
>>
>> This is already possible with the mplayer and VLC backends.
>> You just have to insert URIs with `dvb' or `dvd' schemes.
>> For DVB channels, use `dvb://channel-name'.  For DVDs, use
>> `dvd://track-number' (usually, you want `dvd://1').
>
> Actually, VLC and mplayer have slightly differing syntaxes for this.

Uh, oh.

> VLC wants an `@' character in the URI (or MRL). Leaving it out is an
> error. Mplayer allows the `@', but warns about it. So, the URI that
> works for both looks like this: `dvd://@1'.

What about just `dvd://'?  That seems to work too.

Could we translate to the proper syntax before passing the
URI to the backend process?  Could that translation be as
simple as inserting or removing the `@' character?  If so,
it might be worth it.  If the translation is complicated,
it would probably not be worth it.

> (That's the title number, by the way.)

Oh, right.  The mplayer manual said ``track number'',
but the proper term seems to be title number.

> At least this is true for cdda: URIs. This is how I implemented
> it in my CDDA code (to be merged with Bongo soon?).

The last version I have is five weeks old.  Have you changed
anything since then?  If so, please send the latest version.

> Unfortunately, I cannot test DVD or VCD on my computer,
> but I'd like Bongo to support it with the same interface.

What should we do about the key bindings?  If `i c' is going
to insert a CD, then logically `i d' should insert a DVD and
`i v' should insert a VCD.  I see two problems with this.

First, `i d' is already taken.  (Does anyone actually use it?)

Second, there are only so many letters.  If each new device
type is going to claim its own letter, maybe they should get
their own namespace.

What if `i' was bound directly to `bongo-insert-file',
and `I' was bound to something like `bongo-insert-any',
which would prompt for the type of thing to insert?

So we'd have something like this:

   [after typing `i']
   Insert file or directory tree:

   [after typing `I']
   Type of thing to insert:

      Possible completions are:
      cd                                 dvd
      uri                                vcd

(This would be more economical for me, as I insert files
and directories much more often than anything else.)

Either that, or we just keep adding to the `i' namespace.
Maybe CD, DVD and VCD could go on `i C', `i D', and `i V'.

I guess it's a matter of taste.  What do you guys think?
Can you think of a better solution?

--
Daniel Brockman <address@hidden>