bna-farsilinux

Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [FarsiLinux] New member & suggestions
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 13:20:27 +0300

On Thursday 31 July 2003 10:16, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 July 2003 14:34, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 July 2003 15:42, Arash Bijanzadeh wrote:

> > > And what  do you think of the extra CDs for standard distro's?
> >
> > A really nice idea. However given our current resources, I think
> > this one shouldn't be high in our agenda, and should wait after we
> > have reached some milestones in our own distro.
>
> Do not agree!
>  It is just a matter of packaging.

Excuse me???? Just a matter of packaging? don't think so.

You said that we should find a way, to add Farsi support to major Linux
distros. As far as I can see, it's more a matter of writing scripts,
than a matter of packaging. For redhat as an example, we should remove
it's KDE, install a new KDE, then add things like fonts and keyboard
layout and etc to it, then ....

Come to think of it Arash, it is not that muc simple. It's a good idea,
sure, but one for the future.

> And for our own distro we need
> both the packages and the experience of packaging.

Packaging is not that much a great deal. Is it? There are thousand of
HOWTOS describing how to package into .DEB and RPM format.

> AND because of conflict with aictc we should do something ASAP, to
> prove ourself in the action.

Don't agree here. We are not the ones who should prove ourselves. They
are the ones who have won the money, and thus they are the ones which
should prove themselves. Sure, it would be nice to beat them, but I
personaly prefer to have a good and reliable distro, than one that
barely works. Even if it takes time, I think quality is more important
than time. Building a robust distro takes time Arash, it might ( as
Arash Z noted) take months to only do the R&D.

Building something ASAP is certainly not in my list.

Cheers

PS: I am waiting on your report on Libranet, and CollegeLinux. Have you
guys tested these distros? What are your viewes?

Cheers

--
/*  Give a man a URL he surfs one site.
Teach a man to google, he surfs for life */

Aryan Ameri