bkchem-user

Re: [Bkchem-user] Hydrogen labels and \n for new lines

From: Beda Kosata
Subject: Re: [Bkchem-user] Hydrogen labels and \n for new lines
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 12:56:56 +0200

Hi Robert,

Robert Funnell wrote:
> I just discovered BKchem yesterday and I like it. I had some
> difficulty getting started with the documentation that I found, so I
> created a little Web page to remind me of what I've learned. FWIW,
> it's at http://audilab.bmed.mcgill.ca/~funnell/swil_bkchem.html.
> I hope that it's accurate as far as it goes.

Thanks. The documentation is very old and I did not update it for ages.
Any new piece of information available to the users is welcome.

> As noted on that page, I ran across a couple of problems.
>
> One is that I couldn't get BKchem to not display the labels of
> hydrogen atoms once I'd specified them as hydrogen. Is that what the
> Options > Standard > Atom setting is supposed to do?

This dialog is for global settings - it influences only new drawings
(unless you select to apply it to existing items in the lower part of
the dialog).
To make changes in existing items, you can either use the context menu
(right-click) and select "Hydrogens->Off" or "Properties->Hydrogens->Off".

> The second point is that I had trouble with using \n for new lines.
> The new lines were not respected when I displayed in Firefox using SVG
> or PDF formats, except for the piddle PDF which had some other
> problems. The \n also caused some weird behaviour when I went back to
> edit the text - the \n itself was no longer displayed in the
> text-editing area, and deletions didn't happen where the cursor was
> displayed. Is this just me?

Support for multiline text in BKChem is very bad. It is in fact more a
side-effect of the code than anything else.
I have some new code that targets multiline text explicitly in the
pipeline, but it is not yet ready :(
Sorry for that. Your conclusion is accurate - do not use multiline text
unless you really must :)

        Cheers

                Beda