bino-list

[Bino-list] libgls usage + OpenGL version

From: Bastien Tran
Subject: [Bino-list] libgls usage + OpenGL version
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 16:24:37 +0100

Dear all,

This is a sequel to my post from last year "Troubles using Bino with x11 devices (Input/output error)".

I am still trying to find a way to render interactive R 3d plots in stereo. I figured I could probably make use of the functions made available by libgls and write some custom functions for the rgl library which I use in R to create 3d plots. Maybe in the end it could be usefully put in an R package for others to use (though I am clueless what the implications would be regarding intellectual property??).

I am quite new to C++ and OpenGL so I apologize in advance for anything silly I may write!

Question: it seems that libgls relies more on OpenGL 2.x versions rather than on OpenGL 3.x versions, is that right?

If yes, it seems that the R package I use relies on OpenGL3.x. Is there a way to make use of libgls in that context or would I be better off rewriting my rgl library to accomodate OpenGL 2.x? This way I would know which version to focus on so.

Also I would indeed like to start with a minimal example, as a proof of concept (and to get sounder about these technologies in the process), any pointer about what I could/should aim for would be welcome.
For instance I could try to force/hardcode the output mode but I am not sure if it is a good idea and if it will even make the code easier to navigate through. The idea would be to have at first as little code and files as possible so I can wrap my mind around it and understand what's going on.

Thanks in advance for reading this, sorry if this is out of the list's scope.

Best regards,
Bastien