bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Bino with Nvidia Vision 3D on Linux

From: Frédéric Devernay
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Bino with Nvidia Vision 3D on Linux
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:53:26 +0100

Very interesting.

I have a few comments, and I don't know if they make sense:

- google for an article called "The compatibility of consumer DLP projectors
with time-sequential stereoscopic 3D visualisation"
by Andrew Woods and T Rourke. This will explain more about these issues. Maybe
we could link to it in the Bino FAQ or documentation.

- when using VGA input, the projector must have received the whole image before
being able to project the first channel, but the vblank is signalled at the
beginning of the image. In the above article, check "Table 3: Time offset for
consumer DLP projectors found to be compatible with 60Hz and/or 85Hz VGA
time-sequential stereoscopic display." There is a lot of variation between
projectors. That may explain the mis-synchronization.

- I didn't find such a delay anywhere in libnvstusb.  I would maybe put the
delay as a nanosleep() in nvstusb_set_eye before sending the data to USB, and a
separate thread would be better to do so (so that we don't miss the next vblank
even if the delay is large).

- maybe your projector has a setting for image delay/time offset?

fred