bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Compilation for dummies

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Compilation for dummies
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 14:57:51 +0200

Hi Tim!

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 13:32:37 +0100, Tim Sampson wrote:
> On 27/06/2012 12:41, Martin Lambers wrote:
> > The command i686-pc-mingw32-windres should be build by MXE, and the
> > directory with all MXE commands should be in your $PATH variable.
> > For example:
> > $ export PATH="/path/to/mxe/usr/bin:$PATH"
>
> Ah! I had a typo in my PATH statement and it didn't complain so I
> didn't notice. I now have a shiny new bino.exe. It's rather a large
> one at 54MB but it seems to work.
>
> Thanks for everyone's help. I will still use Pedro's file but it was
> nice to conquer this one and hopefully I'll be able to compile it in
> future.

I'm glad it worked. If you remove debugging symbols from bino.exe
("i686-pc-mingw32-strip src/bino.exe"), it should get smaller, but will
still be fairly big at around 32MiB.

That's because it is statically linked: FFmpeg, Qt, OpenAL, and other
libraries are directly linked into bino.exe instead of being
distributed as separate DLLs.

There is ongoing work in MXE to also provide everything as DLLs, which
is more common, but then you have to track down which versions of which
DLLs you need in order to run the bino.exe file. With static linking,
at least the file works on every Windows system as-is.

Martin