bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] My tests: reaching for smooth playback of full-sbs HD vi

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] My tests: reaching for smooth playback of full-sbs HD video w/ subtitles
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:26:00 +0200

Hi Pedro!

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 03:20:26 +0100, Pedro Silva Pinto wrote:
> sometimes the program hangs when I switch to full screen.

Does this go away if you switch off "inhibit the screensaver" in
Preferences->Fullscreen? It helps on my system.

> In conclusion, is there any special reason why playback with
> subtitles has such a poor performance? Does it happen just to me for
> some reason, or development hasn't reached the point yet where these
> issues will be resolved? I cannot help with programming skills but am
> available for testing.

Subtitle rendering happens in software (via LibASS) in screen
resolution. This should be fast enough, but I don't use subtitles
myself so I seldom test this.

Can Mplayer or VLC play the same half-width SBS video plus subtitles in
your setup without frame drops? If so, Bino clearly has a performance
problem somewhere that we should find and fix. If not, then the
limiting factor is likely LibASS (which mplayer and VLC also use), and
there is little we can do about that.

> Just a final question: do you have plans to add subtitle parallax
> control to the gui, in the future? Am using command line for the
> moment.

This is already available under Preferences->Current Video Settings.

Regards,
Martin