bino-list

[Bino-list] FFmpeg / Libav differences becoming a problem on Debian and

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: [Bino-list] FFmpeg / Libav differences becoming a problem on Debian and Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:58:41 +0100

Hi all,

Bino currently builds and runs with all FFmpeg releases >= 0.7 and all
Libav releases >= 0.7.

But the differences between the two projects now become a problem:

- MPO (stereo photo) files only work with current FFmpeg.
  FFmpeg commit 1d23e5246c67f765dd5d119c9f3197bdae07330c
  is not in Libav.

- PNS and JPS (stereo image) files only work with current FFmpeg.
  FFmpeg commit 6fe12c7ff2094c68a8b6e9aeea7744ca15594091
  is not in Libav.

- SSA/ASS subtitles only work with current FFmpeg. I cannot point at a
  specific commit, but there were subtitle patches by Aurelien Jacobs
  in FFmpeg last year that were not picked up by Libav.

So, I currently recommend using FFmpeg (the latest version if possible).

However, Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) have chosen to use Libav instead
of FFmpeg, so if you use the libav* packages from these distributions,
some things will not work.

Can someone test Libav (regularly if possible) and ask the Libav
people to merge the necessary changes?

Martin