bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] SubTitles?

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] SubTitles?
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 21:15:23 +0100

On 15/03/11 20:54, Martin Lambers wrote:
> Yes, we need a high level library that hides all those messy system
> dependent details, and ideally also takes care of any character encoding
> issues for us.
>
> I agree that we should avoid adding too many dependencies. Pango
> actually does not seem to be too much of a problem in this regard: it
> does depend on glib, but not on GTK, and on my system (Ubuntu 10.10)
> libqt4gui also depends on glib (to allow using the glib mainloop), so
> the number of additional dependencies would be limited to pango+cairo.
> Still, there might be better choices than pango.
>
> Maybe we should just use Qt, but I really would like to have subtitles
> working with Equalizer, too. From a quick look at the code, Equalizer
> itself seems to only support crappy old-style X11 fonts on Linux, and
> only in US-ASCII encoding.

On second thought, there is probably no real advantage in using Pango
over Qt. It looks like one would need to use QPainter on a QImage to
draw the text, and then upload the QImage as a texture to the GPU. No
additional libraries would be required.

If we keep the subtitle rendering code a little bit separated from the
rest, we can probably figure out a way to use this from within Equalizer
later.

Martin