bibledit-general

Re: [be] Bibledit 4.6.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

From: Jonathan Marsden
Subject: Re: [be] Bibledit 4.6.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 23:33:19 -0700

On 05/25/2012 07:35 PM, Lance W. Haverkamp wrote:

> On 05/25/2012 08:23 PM, Matthew A. Postiff wrote:

>> The default Bibledit available on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is version 4.5.

That's what you would expect, since bibledit-gtk 4.6 was only uploaded
to Debian unstable on 11 April 2012, and feature freeze for Ubuntu 12.04
was back in February.

>> To build the latest version from source, follow these steps:

> ...or the nearly-as-current Ububuntu PPA from here:
> https://launchpad.net/~pkgcrosswire/+archive/ppa

If the CrossWire PPA is out of date, I'll gladly rebuild from latest
Debian 4.6.1 source package and upload new packages to it.

I'd rather people are encouraged to use packaged software, than to build
things from source and add them under /usr/local/ which tends to cause
issues longer term (e.g there is no easy way to UNinstall software
installed that way, so when the user later installs a packaged Bibledit
5.1, forgetting they have a 4.6.x lurking under /usr/local/, problems
can occur!).

Looks like the PPA has 4.6, just as Debian unstable does.  Bibledit-gtk
4.6.1 now exists, but as far as I can see it is not yet uploaded to
Debian.  Once it is uploaded there, I'll volunteer to build 4.6.1 for
Lucid and later, and upload to the Crosswire PPA, as usual.

I'd *much* prefer that the wiki documentation made it very clear that
when they exist, installing Ubuntu or Debian packages is preferable to
building the software from sources and installing under /usr/local,
because packages allow all the usual benefits of package management to
apply.  Only those people who truly need the fixes in 4.6.1 during the
(usually short!) time window between the tarball release and packages
becoming available should be doing tarball-based installations.

Jonathan