bibledit-general

Re: [be] Resource in Text Collection facility and Tibetan language selec

From: stevelilley
Subject: Re: [be] Resource in Text Collection facility and Tibetan language selection for project
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 06:54:47 -0400

On Monday, November 01, 2010 03:58:23 pm Teus Benschop wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 07:08 -0400, stevelilley wrote:
> [...]
>
> > 1. In both Paratex and TE there is a facility callled "Resource in
> > Text Collection." Do you have this facility?
>
> What does this facility do in Paratext and TE?

All the resources which you might select (all the copyright bibles which you
have selected and UBS handbook and/or even your own BT ) will be displayed in
one window for only the verse in question (the verse which you are looking
at). This is good when you are drafting from a version (English or other
languages) and it is good for checking the BT (and the translation) to see if
anything is missing.

> > Also can you open the resources which are available for Paratex (ie:
> > the bibles) I think they can be opened in TE (I think I saw it once
> > however it may not have been the copyright bibles I would have to ask
> > a colleague what he has there). I think the bibles are password
> > protected in the zip files.
>
> If the password is known then these zip files can be unpacked, and the
> resulting USFM files imported into Bibledit. If the password is not
> known, then these zip files could be imported in Paratext, exported
> again as USFM files, and then these USFM files could be imported into
> Bibledit.

Okay I will try that

> > 2. When you open a new project you have a limited selection of
> > languages. We are translating in a Tibetan language and there is a
> > character in this language which Bible Editor is mistaking for "space"
> > I think, because if I select it an try to add it to the dictionary it
> > only selects a part of it not the whole word.
>
> The languages that can be selected when creating a new project do not
> have an influence upon the routines that make the word boundaries. The
> word boundaries are determined by the Pango library (www.pango.org). I
> would think that in case Pango supports the Tibetan language, it would
> then be sufficient to set the locale of the computer where Bibledit runs
> to the Tibetan language.
>
> If that does not work, then a fix to the Pango library would do it.

Okay you got me thinking and I know why it is not selecting the entire word.
In Unicode Tibetan there is two versions of this morpheme break dot. One which
allows breaking the word and one which prohibits it. We must have been typing
in the version which allows breaking the word in the middle of the word.
Thanks.