bbdb-user

Re: FreeBSD package build failure with Emacs 26.1

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: FreeBSD package build failure with Emacs 26.1
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:30:22 -0500

I don't know specifically about FreeBSD, but I use NetBSD and maintain
various things in pkgsrc, which is similar (and has long-ago shared
ancestry) with the FreeBSD package system.

These comments are mostly for Joseph; debugging needs to be done within
the freebsd environment to see what is going on.

1) Do this again with all concurrency (e.g. make -j8) turned off.  The
multiple jobs make it hard to follow.

2) Looking at the log, I see a complaint about bbdb-ispell and
permissions, and the same thing for 8 others.  Is the packaging system
adding any checks.  (NetBSD's pkgsrc adds checks for executable bits on
regular files, and so on, but the messages are clear, so I'm guessing
it's not a ports thing here.)

3) When you try to build the bbdb package by hand, outside of ports,
with that version of emacs, how does it go?  If that works and the ports
build doesn't, that narrows it down.  And if it fails, you can report a
much simpler error.