bbdb-user

Re: bbdb-mua-display-recipients keybinding in bbdb-gnus.el

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: bbdb-mua-display-recipients keybinding in bbdb-gnus.el
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 20:35:48 -0500

On Fri Sep 7 2018 Gijs Hillenius wrote:
> If what you describe is the case, my set-up must be wrong. When I write
> an email to a person /not/ in my bbdb, I currently can't use colon (:)
> to add this person's name and email address to bbdb, because : only runs
> bbdb-mua-display-sender.

It may help if first you make sure that the user commands are
configured according to your taste.  Then check the keybindings for
these commands.

In other words, run M-x bbdb-mua-display-recipients  etc.

Then my point is: if you want to use BBDB for the recipients of
emails you are writing,  you can do that in the buffer where you are
writing the email.  Just run M-x bbdb-mua-display-recipients

The only problem is: When you write an email, this happens in a
buffer using message-mode (or mail-mode).  Of course, all ordinary
key sequences are self-inserting in buffers using these modes.  When
you type `:' in such a buffer, that's what you get.

- I have never checked which key sequences (C-..., M-..., etc)
BBDB can hijack in message-mode or mail-mode for commands like
bbdb-mua-display-recipients.

> > Why do you want to do that in buffers displaying messages you received?
>
> In this case, it would not display messages I received – here I
> already use the colon. It would display messages I sent. That is
> also gnus-article-mode, right?

Sounds too complicated: you update BBDB when viewing the messages
you sent some time ago.  As described above, you can also update
BBDB while you write the email.

Or let BBDB do the updating automatically when you send the email.
The configuration Bob Newell has posted is exactly doing that.
As a yet simpler example, check something like

(bbdb-mua-auto-update-init 'message 'mail)
(setq bbdb-mua-auto-update-p 'query)

Roland