bbdb-user

Re: updating, confused

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: updating, confused
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2018 18:23:00 -0400

[answered questions just omitted - thanks very much to you, Barak, and
everyone else.]

"Roland Winkler" <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon Sep 3 2018 Greg Troxel wrote:
>> 2) Perhaps my old config is wrong for new bbdb, and I haven't
>> really dug through it, but I'm a) not having it work and b)
>> finding that gnus displaying messages is often hanging (but I'm
>> not sure why).
>
> If you used BBDB v2, then, I am sorry, you need to review your
> configuration carefully.  BBDB v3 has been essentially a complete
> re-write of BBDB.  Most configuration variables have changed.
> Personally, I recommend to browse the pretty complete list of user
> variables at the beginning of bbdb.el.  (Few add-ons in the BBDB
> repo have their specific user variables at the beginning of the
> respective files.)  Other users who are upgrading their
> configuration prefer
>
>   https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/UpgradeBBDB

Thanks.  I have gone through my variables and deleted and converted,
reading docs and using the wiki page.

Now (and with not using emacs26 bytecode with emacs25!), things are much
better.

I had a bunch of records with dup names/addrs, and got warnings on

Now, in gnus, looking at a message, typing : gets me the bbdb buffer if
the sender already has an entry.

But, if there is no entry, I don't see anything.  I used to create
entries that way.

Typing ;, to create an entry and pull up notes (which used to work and
still seems to be documented to do that), doesn't do anything.

My config is:

      (require 'bbdb-loaddefs)
      (bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message)

      (setq bbdb-update-records-p 'query)
      (setq bbdb-canonicalize-redundant-mails t)
      (setq bbdb-new-mails-primary nil)
      (setq bbdb-completion-list '(fl-name mail))

and what I want is for bbdb to

  automatically display the record of the sender
  create a record if I type :
  not create records without my request

and

  outgoing completion (which is ok)

I have verified that

  bbdb-mua-pop-up is t

but feel like I must be missing something.

1) How do I get the bbdb window to display automatically if the sender
is in the db?

2) What should I do on seeing a gnus message where I want to add the
sender?