bbdb-user

Re: BBDBv2 vs v3: what are the changes

From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Re: BBDBv2 vs v3: what are the changes
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2018 23:06:49 +0200

> Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 11:47:10 -0500
> From: "Roland Winkler" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Tue Jun 5 2018 Xavier Maillard wrote:
> > Bonus: a real plus would be to hold a field to indicate where to
> > output messages when pressing 'o' (aka. react as if I had set
> > `rmail-output-file-alist' which is quite painful to maintain).
> >
> > Any Rmail and or mail-mode user here ?
>
> Interesting! - I am not an rmail user, and for whatever historical
> reason rmail support of BBDB has been minimal so far.  But it seems
> that auto-generating rmail-output-file-alist is a "typical" task for
> BBDB.  What would be useful here?

Dunno exactly how it would have to cooperate with Rmail exxactly but
it is really like I described it: calling 'o' would try to check for
a, eg. `bbdb-output-rmail-file' field into the database to offer a
candidate as the output file for current message.

> The docstring of rmail-output-file-alist says that it is a list of
> elements of the form (REGEXP . NAME-EXP).  So BBDB records could
> have a field rmail-folder that hold a string NAME-EXP.  And REGEXP
> is derived from the mail addresses in a record?
>
> bbdb/vm-auto-folder does something similar for VM.

Mybe it could be reused for rmail, I doubt it but why not try ?

I'd be glad to test something like that here if needed.
--
Xavier Maillard
e/j:address@hidden               w:www.maillard.im