bbdb-user

Re: BBDBv2 vs v3: what are the changes

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: BBDBv2 vs v3: what are the changes
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 11:47:10 -0500

On Tue Jun 5 2018 Xavier Maillard wrote:
> Bonus: a real plus would be to hold a field to indicate where to
> output messages when pressing 'o' (aka. react as if I had set
> `rmail-output-file-alist' which is quite painful to maintain).
>
> Any Rmail and or mail-mode user here ?

Interesting! - I am not an rmail user, and for whatever historical
reason rmail support of BBDB has been minimal so far.  But it seems
that auto-generating rmail-output-file-alist is a "typical" task for
BBDB.  What would be useful here?

The docstring of rmail-output-file-alist says that it is a list of
elements of the form (REGEXP . NAME-EXP).  So BBDB records could
have a field rmail-folder that hold a string NAME-EXP.  And REGEXP
is derived from the mail addresses in a record?

bbdb/vm-auto-folder does something similar for VM.