baby-devel

[baby-devel] lick

From: Nik Mooney
Subject: [baby-devel] lick
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:21:42 +0300

He cannot afford the time either to be himself or to beother people. The cliffs stand out to sea,one behind another.
Beerbohm, depends suffers in the process. The Press is undoubtedly a great multiplier of crocuses. Squire in the bulk, one feels that a commongreyness silvers everything. Habit and lethargy havedulled his palate. The Elizabethans, to speak roughly, chose the aristocracy towrite for and the playhouse public.
She musttake upon herself a more laborious and a more ungrateful task. O yes, he seemed to say, death is stronger than I am. Everything in anessay must be subdued to that end.
Yet it is truethat the essayist is the most sensitive of all writers to public opinion.
The Elizabethans, to speak roughly, chose the aristocracy towrite for and the playhouse public. The ingot is so small, themanipulation so incessant. Something of the sort applies to Matthew Arnold and acertain translator of Spinoza.
Rhys collection, to be frank, have not altogethersucceeded in solving it.
Beerbohm and Hudson, and Vernon Lee and Mr. Look at the movinglight in that hill; it is the headlight of a car. They are hybrid creatures, neither gay likebutterflies nor sombre like their own species. Now once more the conditionshave changed. Asoften as he crossed the pane, I could fancy that a thread of vital lightbecame visible. Journalism embalmed in a book is unreadable. Beerbohm, depends suffers in the process.
When Charlotte wrote she said with eloquence andsplendour and passion I love , I hate, I suffer. Habit and lethargy havedulled his palate.
Asoften as he crossed the pane, I could fancy that a thread of vital lightbecame visible. But the essay isalive; there is no reason to despair.