axiom-math

Re: [Axiom-math] if-expression and variables

From: Raymond Rogers
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] if-expression and variables
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 10:36:50 -0500

On 05/03/2011 04:21 AM, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
Dear Stefan,

as others already have pointed out, for Axiom, your question is not really well posed.

In Axiom

  if x<10 then 2*x else 5*x^2

is *not* an expression (as you might know it from other untyped CAS like Mathematica or Maple), but rather a programming language construct. In other words, if Axiom sees this, it is evaluated. So the result is either 2*x or 5*x^2 depending on the (boolean) outcome of the evaluation of x<10.

I think, Bill suggested to use something like InputForm. There it would be possible to represent an if-expression unevaluated.

But you should rather say what you actually want (it's not the same what you expect).

In order for us to suggest you a proper way to handle your use case, you should tell us why you want a piecewise function and (more important) what you later want to do with that function.

Until we have that information, everything would be just digging in the dark.

Ralf
Ralf

But the question is not intrinsically a "programing construct". With some (bulky) symbolic logic constructs one can express it in a mathematical sense. That is: set membership and "exclusive or". I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to implement it in Axiom; nonetheless questions like this have non programmatic expressions. For instance Prolog has an explicit resolution syntax that is reasonably obvious and supports embedding logic conditions on and on. As I recall you can even extend it to second order logic.