axiom-math

Re: [Axiom-math] if-expression and variables

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-math] if-expression and variables
Date: Tue, 03 May 2011 22:25:02 +0200

It would certainly be possible in principle to implement a function such as:

    evaluate: InputForm ->  InputForm

which attempts to 'interpret' its input and if possible returns the
InputForm derived from the corresponding value, otherwise it would
return the input unchanged.

Well, if one uses Axiom (which was designed to be *typed*) in order to implement such an evaluate function, then one basically implements an untyped CAS inside a typed CAS. Possible, but why would I want that?

There might be some use cases for this, but personally, I am so happy that Axiom is typed, that I find this making-Axiom-untyped (or one-typed, i.e. just InputForm) a bit counter-productive.

Ralf