axiom-math

[Axiom-math] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [open-axiom-devel] [fricas-devel] Re

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: [Axiom-math] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [open-axiom-devel] [fricas-devel] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: [fricas-devel] Re: iterators and cartesian product.
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 10:57:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Ralf Hemmecke wrote:

| Dear Gaby,
|
| I've read the Wikipedia articles about Generator and Iterator, but somehow
| their difference is not completely clear to me. Seemingly a generator is more
| general than an iterator.

Yes, generator -- based on co-routines -- is more general than
iterator -- which is based on functions.  But the generality comes at
a price.  Furthermore, I do not believe that they are mutually exclusive.

| But now, coming to SPAD, do you think it is worthwhile to think of an
| implementation (for SPAD) of the Iterator concept a la C++?

It depends on people.  From my perspective, certainly yes.  But
different people have different opinions.  For OpenAxiom, it is
certainly something I'm actively considering.

| Wouldn't the
| Generator thing be enough? Or is there no plan to introduce Generator to SPAD?

Enough from the theoretical point of view, certainly.  But that is not
all to it.  Personnally, I tend to consider also the effienc at which
features are delivered -- but I acknowledged that is not a universal view.

-- Gaby