axiom-math

[Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-developer] Doyen project

From: Mark Murray
Subject: [Axiom-math] Re: [Axiom-developer] Doyen project
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 17:06:21 +0100

root writes:
> The means that everyone in the audience has your program as well as
> your paper and can reproduce your results. Isn't that the definition
> of a science? And it works for every branch of science that uses a
> computer.

It also means that everyone in the audience is reproducing any errors.

Isn't the essence of reproducing an experiment to start with the theory
and construct the experiment yourself, rather that pushing the "GO"
button in the original scientist's laboratory?

> The Doyen project is actually a generalization of the ideas for Axiom.
> It addresses the problem that we, as computational mathematicians, are
> not making our fundamental results (programs) available in sharable and
> archivable form. I've seen hundreds of presentations where reference is
> made to the software that supports results but I can't get or use the
> software.

I partially agree with this, but access to the original software should
only really be for checking purposes.

Of course, certain classes of research need to be less stringent on
this; theoretical compiler design would be an example.

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH