Re: [Axiom-mail] Re: Saving intermediate results and loading them later

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Re: Saving intermediate results and loading them later in another session
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 10:18:50 -0500

 This is the Axiom project.
You want the Open-Axiom project (www.open-axiom.org)

On 11/15/2010 9:47 AM, Rodrigo Canaan wrote:

     Sorry, I was away on a business trip.

    There is a save/restore facility (see the Jenks book, volume 0 at
    http://axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/documentation.html)

    You cannot interrupt a long running computation, save it, and then
    restore it and continue. Break the computation in parts and do
    save/restore at the parts. You could write an input file to do
    checkpoint saves after each part completes.

    Tim Daly

    On 11/10/2010 1:40 PM, Rodrigo Canaan wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I am working on a program that takes quite a long time to
    execute, and
    > I wanted to be able to save the intermediate results to an
    output and
    > to load it later in another session, so that I wouldn't need to run
    > the program overnight everytime. I want to run a bit, save the
    > important variables, be able to close the session, shut down my
    > computer and continue running later. Or if there is a way to
    save the
    > entire state of the session, that would work as well.
    >
    > The spool command won't work, because it won't print the output in a
    > format that is readable later as an input by Axiom.
    >
    > If there is a way to do it, please let me know!
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

Hello, Tim!

What I meant by saving the intermediate results was what you said: break the computation in multiple input files and save at the end of them and load at the begining.

I tried using the )history commands, but it isn't working. I am using OpenAxiom-1.3.0 on Windows, and when I issue a command like ")history )save test", axiom returns me

>> System.error:
#p"test.input" is not a type of STRING.

I don't know how to fix it.
Thanks a lot!