Re: [Axiom-mail] Open Axiom initialization error on Ubuntu 9.10

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Open Axiom initialization error on Ubuntu 9.10
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 05:01:02 -0400

You're using a version from 2005.
The latest release is March, 2010
http://axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/download.html

Download the ubuntu binary
tar -zxf axiom-ubuntu-mar2010-bin.tgz
cd axiom
export AXIOM=`pwd`/mnt/ubuntu
export PATH=$AXIOM/bin:$PATH
axiom

Tim

Byron Hale wrote:
Hi,

I was happy to finally get my hands on Axiom after nearly 20 years.
So, I was overjoyed that Ubuntu 9.10 had a ready-to-go package.

However, there is a cloud over paradise. Open Axiom fails to properly initialise.

The hardware is Intel Quad Core CPU, the OS is Ubuntu 9.10 AMD 64.
I keep the CPU microcode up-to-date.

Appended is the rather cryptic output I captured.

I would certainly appreciate some help.

Byron Hale

address@hidden:~$ axiom
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 CLtL1    Nov 10 2006 14:25:02
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd,xgcl)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (XGCL READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.
Temporary directory for compiler files set to /tmp/
                       AXIOM Computer Algebra System
                    Version: Axiom 3.9 (September 2005)
             Timestamp: Saturday December 2, 2006 at 09:30:31
  Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
  Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
  Issue )quit to leave AXIOM and return to shell.

  Re-reading compress.daase   Re-reading interp.daase
  Re-reading operation.daase
  Re-reading category.daase
  >> System error:
  Couldn't protect

Error: The tag |top_level| is undefined.
Fast links are on: do (si::use-fast-links nil) for debugging
Error signalled by RETURN.
Broken at APPLY.  Type :H for Help.
BOOT>>