Re: [Axiom-mail] A little simplification problem

From: Themos Tsikas
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] A little simplification problem
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:44:09 +0100

Why? I didn't write the code but my best guess is that such rules would slow
things down dramatically if they had to be applied everytime there's a "+"
or "-" or "*" in Expression. You could experiment with your own Expression
domain, adding more simplification rules and attaching them to the basic
arithmetic ops. The current Expression implementation relies on the use
of "normalize"  for when you want to eliminate algebraically redundant
kernels (informally, subexpressions). There's still the question of why
does "simplify" not call "normalize". I don't know the answer.

Themos Tsikas