Re: [Axiom-mail] gnuplot on axiom-wiki

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] gnuplot on axiom-wiki
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 10:35:41 -0400

Alasdair,

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 8:18 PM, you wrote:
> Actually, while axiom under windows still seems to be in a state of flux,
> it would be nice to have a plot-using-gnuplot interface as an alternative
> to axiom's graphics subsystem, which is not yet ported as a windows
> binary.

On several different Windows systems I have been running the binary
version of FriCAS compiled and packaged for Windows by Alfredo without
any serious problems. It only requires that you also install the
native Xming program in order to display hyperdoc and graphics. The
(minor) problems I have occur when I try to run this on a system which
is already otherwise occupied running other memory hungry applications
like Microsoft Virtual PC.  In that case I sometimes get a error when
starting Axiom due to already known issues with Windows memory
management. Reducing the number of running applications usually cures
the problem.

However, I do agree that having Axiom generate gnuplot graphics on
Windows would also be desirable. I think the code displayed at:

  http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/PlotMathAction

will work in the Windows environment. This code however, only
implements a small part of the overall graphics capabilities of Axiom
using gnuplot. Both Axiom graphics and gnuplot are able to do many
more exciting things. I would be very happy if other people were also
interested in extending the Axiom gnuplot interface to make more of
this available to the user.

Regards,
Bill Page.