Re: [Axiom-mail] Compile error

From: Dan Hatton
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Compile error
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 18:58:42 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 16 May 2008, root wrote:

echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/exec-shield
echo 0 >/proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space

(type fgrep echo faq to find the lines)

So... the idea is that newer security models (I recently installed a
SELinux enabled kernel, which might explain why I've just started
seeing this) make life hard for some types of virus by making a clear
distinction between executable memory and data memory, and by putting
the executable memory in an unpredictable place.  But for some reason,
this makes life hard for Axiom (or the underlying lisp) too; have I
understood correctly?  The two echo commands disable these aspects of
security models for all processes, whereas the setarch method given as
an alternative in the FAQ disables them for one process only, right?

In any case, I've now compiled successfully with the setarch method -
although I have to use setarch -R to run Axiom as well.

--

Thanks,

Dan