Re: [Axiom-mail] Defining piece-wise functions and drawing, integrating

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Defining piece-wise functions and drawing, integrating, ...
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:03:32 +0200

On 06/03/2007 07:30 PM, Raymond E. Rogers wrote:
Ralf Hemmecke wrote:
Agreed, but what about telling Axiom the following:

(1) -> g(x)==if x>0 then x else -x
                                Type: Void

(
I am sorry for being a nuisance but I would like to point out:
This function can be expressed as
g(x)=  -x +2*DD^2
Where DD is the second order of the Dirac Delta function;  and DD^2 =
int(int(DD*1)) , a ramp starting at 0.  The point is that piecewise
polynomials  can be handled as generalized functions.
The integral int(g(x),a,b) would be [-(x^2/2)+DD^3]^b_a
 I am retiring soon and perhaps will implement the useful parts of using
the Dirac Delta function in Axiom.
Ray Rogers

I don't know whether one can easily explain to a not so well trained user what a "generalised function" is and that instead of

g(x)==if x>0 then x else -x

he/she should rather write

g(x)=  -x +2*DD^2,

but I would love to see your contribution to Axiom. Hopefully you never retire from using and contributing to Axiom.

All the best

Ralf