Re: [Axiom-mail] Re: noweb

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Re: noweb
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 15:47:18 -0400

> As you can see, document insists on LaTeXing a file, which, as I said,
> when in a design-code-build-test mode, I'm not interested in.  It just
> wastes my time.  I rather have a separate [hase for building .dvi
> files than trying to conflate everything together.  Maybe that mode
> will be only for developers, but then document is not my solution.

i work in a literate style all the time now. every few lines i change
i completely notangle-compile-test-noweeave-latex-xdvi as a single
process. that way i know that the program still works, still TeXs,
and the code and text are in sync.

literate programming is a fundamental change in the way one thinks.
programs are written for people, not machines so TeXing the file is primary.

surely you can't be suggesting that people still write naked code files....

you are, in fact, working as a developer so i'd hope that all of your
new makefile machinery is pamphlet files.  and the design principles
should come first, as in the top level Makefile so the next generation
can follow the religion.  so why wouldn't a greatly improved
'document' command be primary?

a two-pass process would allow a latex typo to stop the system build
very late in the process whereas it logically should occur the first
time the file is used. 'document', with the appropriate options,
should completely handle the file, no?

it's hard for me to consider 'document', the primary command for handling
pamphlet files, as unnecessary.

Brother Tim
Keeper of the Flame and secret pyromaniac.