RE: [Axiom-mail] Re: noweb

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-mail] Re: noweb
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:17:03 -0400

Gaby,

On Tuesday, August 08, 2006 4:02 PM you wrote:

> | Gaby asked:
> | > What is the status of noweb with respect to Axiom
> | > installation? That is, noweb is built solely to permit
> | > extraction of source code and documentation. Is the
> | > built binary ever intended to be installed when Axiom
> | > is installed?  Can I for sure assume that it is a
> | > build utility only?
> |

> Tim Daly writes:
> | once the meta files disappear from the sources we won't
> | need to build a local version of noweb. however, if it
> | isn't available on the local system we will still continue
> | to build it in the near term.
>
> I realize this does not answer my question at all.
>
> Take AXIOM/src/scripts/document for example.  It contains
> direct reference to notangle and noweave, built while
> building Axiom's. However that script is installed along
> with noweb...

Oddly, it seems that Tim did not understand your question.

Your initial assumption is correct. For Axiom, noweb is
*only* a build utility. It is not required for running
Axiom. It should not be installed when running the Axiom
'make install'. All we should be "installing" are the
files necessary to use Axiom -- not to build it. As usual
the build directories will remain intact after the install
and would continue to be available for Axiom development
(if desired).

Regards,
Bill Page.