Re: [Axiom-mail] Type of Expression Problem

From: Hans Peter Würmli
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Type of Expression Problem
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:56:22 +0100

Hi Martin

I am a bit tired, so my response might be make not make sense.

> > F(n-1,k)/F(n,k) ,
> >
> > primarily given by an Expression Integer could be "coerced" / "converted"
> > / "retracted" (certainly not) to, say, a
> >
> > Fraction Polynomial Integer.
>
> Indeed, "retractIfCan(argument)@Domain" is your friend. What it does is to
> check whether "argument" can be regarded as an element of "Domain".

I don't understand. Wouldn't argument have to be in a Domain' which is a
target of an injection from Domain, like INT -> FRAC INT. But for that you
would have to inject rational functions into the Domain of expressions. I
admit that I don't understand yet enough.

I tried to apply your advice, but I am still where I was before, meaning that
only good look brings me to the right answer, e.g.

(1) -> e2:=binomial(n-1,k)/binomial(n,k)

         n - 1
        (     )
   (1)  -------
          ( )
                                                     Type: Expression Integer
(2) -> retractIfCan(e2)@Union(Fraction Polynomial Integer, "failed")

   (2)  "failed"
                                                    Type: Union("failed",...)
(3) -> retractIfCan(normalize(e2))@Union(Fraction Polynomial Integer,
"failed")

        n - k
   (3)  -----
                                 Type: Union(Fraction Polynomial Integer,...)

> To see how it is done see the function notRF? in combfunc.spad.pamphlet.

Thank you. I will study it.

> A suggestion: as you probably know, Gospers method is already implemented
> in Axiom.

Yes, I know. I had bought the Zeilberger-Wilf-Petkovsek A=B book, when the sum
problem was discussed some time ago on this list. My first try then was to
check whether I could play with polynomials of forward difference operators.
I manage now, but then my naive approach was to take a polynomial, say, p[n],
and substitute n for N: subst(p,n=N) or eval(p,n=N), something that fails
miserably. Nevertheless, the idea of substitution is so general that one
would expect that Axiom would allow it.

> Maybe you could implement a simple version of Zeilbergers
> algorithm?

I still don't master the simplest first steps of programming in Axiom, but
comes times, comes success ...

> If you do, you will need to have a method of representing recurrences, with
> which I can help.

Yes, I am interested (as I remember you pointed the list once to it, haven't
you?), though my primary goal would not be to have some representation, but
to be able to represent the recurrences as naturally as possibly, natural
meaning as close to standard math language as possible. I am just as much
interested in Axiom as a language as in Axiom as a tool to manipulate
expressions and do some Algebra (and to occasionally solve a problem).

I have followed to some extent the discussion on Lisp, Boot and Axiom. As a
heretic I would prefer Haskell as the underlying language anyway. Axiom
itself has a nice foundation, but I wonder whether some of the understanding
of typed functional languages that devoloped during the last 20 years would
not help to make Axiom even better.

But as an aside: maybe 3 years ago when I encountered by chance Aldor I became
quite enthusiastic about it, but stayed off really using it, because the
project was not free. Nevertheless, as some of my colleagues knew Manuel
Bronstein from his time in Zurich, I approached him and asked whether the
Algebra library would remain closed source. He answered very positively that
he only needed to brush up (to clean some sins, as I understood), before he
was going to publish the source. It seemed to me at the time that Stephen
Watt "owned" the compiler and Manuel the Algebra libraries, but with much
more openness on. Are they really lost with INRIA?

Cheers, H.P.