[Axiom-mail] A(ld,xi)o(r,m)

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: [Axiom-mail] A(ld,xi)o(r,m)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:30:35 +0000

Dear Manuel, Marc, Ralf, *

recently I have started thinking about a common future of Aldor and
Axiom. I'm convinced that cooperation between the two will be necessary to
attract more scientists and users. Do you agree?

I think that the ultimates goals should be that

* Aldor becomes the extension language of Axiom, thus replacing Spad, and that
* as much as possible of the libraries are shared.

Do you agree that these are the "good" goals?

I have no idea at all how the first goal could be accomplished. Is it correct
that the current Aldor implementation within Axiom is a "proper" subset of
Aldor 1.0.2, i.e., that an Aldor program compiled with Axiom would have the
same semantics as the same program compiled with Aldor 1.0.2?

I had a short look at the documentation of the Algebra library of Aldor, so I
realize that the second goal will not be a quick and easy task either.

However, it seems to me that it is only the wealth of Spad libraries that make
Axiom interesting. Are the Axiom interpreter and the Aldor 1.0.2 interpreter
comparable? Can you tell me about the weaknesses and strenghts of the two
systems?

Martin

PS: is there an Aldor mailinglist? If you know someone who might be interested
in these issues, please forward this mail!