[Axiom-mail] Axiom, Rosetta and Quantian

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-mail] Axiom, Rosetta and Quantian
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:18:36 -0500

>> The Rosetta document I maintain has "synonyms" for commands from
>> Axiom, Derive, GAP, Gmp, DoCon, Macsyma, Magnus, Maxima, Maple,
>> Mathematcia, MuPAD, Octave, Pari, Reduce, Scilab, Sumit, and Yacas.
>
>A good number of these are already in Quantian.

Yeah, I saw that. You might want to add the Rosetta doc to the CD.
It's quite small and your current user set might find it useful.
If you extend it to other systems I'd like to know so I can add
the changes back.

>> Lavaud did a really nice front-end for his version of Rosetta that
>> made it possible to start individual packages from a list.
>
>As a launcher? Or as in 'will be added to the iso'.

Presumably the users would want to run an individual package.
Centralizing the launching (and config-ing/installing?) would
make the system somewhat more user-affectionate. Clearly we don't
want to go very far in this direction as we'd step on the individual
package responsibilities but some uniform introduction might be useful.
I'll look at what math packages you have installed and see if I can
cons something simple together as an example.

Can you point me at some info about how you build one of these CDs?
I'll try to create one that has the proposed intro script.

Let me know if there are other ways you think I can help make this
happen.

Tim