[Axiom-mail] RE: AXIOM / TeXmacs problems (bugs?)

From: Bill Page
Subject: [Axiom-mail] RE: AXIOM / TeXmacs problems (bugs?)
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:04:21 -0500

On Saturday, December 06, 2003 7:20 PM Bertfried Fauser
[mailto:address@hidden wrote:

> 2) AXIOM using TeXmacs
>   In the cmd-line AXIOM I can define functions using several
>   lines of input where lines which are not the last line are
>   ended by ' _'. In TeXmacs this confused TeXmacs totally
>   (freezes the program). I consider this a bug, since it
>   should be possible to come up with multi line command
>   (TeXmacs usesd 'shift RETURN' which might be needed to
>   translated into ' _'  WORKAROUND:
>   Use emacs to createand input file foo.input and load it
>   into TeXmascs via )read foo, however this is not WYSYWIG
>   fashion

I have no problem entering muli-line commands with TeXmacs
and Axiom. I use just shift+Enter. In fact I have posted
several examples of exactly this at the Axiom web site
(unfortunately still not available! :((

There is no need to use the _ character in TeXmacs. Just use
'shift RETURN'. It does not need to be translated into _.
All that _ does in Axiom is to concatonate the input into
an effectively single long line of input. TeXmacs does that
automatically when you use shift+Enter ('shift RETURN').
Forget about _. It is not needed. Just omit it whenever
you enter multi-line input in TeXmacs. Use shift+Enter to
go to a new line and continue your multi-line input. This
is just like in Maple. When you press Enter on the last
line of input the whole thing is sent to Axiom as one long
line of input.

What problems do you have if you use this approach?

Cheers,
Bill Page.