Re: [Axiom-mail] Compiling Axiom on FreeBSD

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Compiling Axiom on FreeBSD
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 14:33:34 -0500

Mark,

The diffs would be best, actually. Can you diff them using:
  diff -Naur oldfile newfile >newfile.patch

In general, I don't fork other packages. The scheme is to pick a
particular version (normally the latest if it works) and put a
tar-gzipped copy of the sources in the zips directory. Make untars,
applies Axiom patches, configures, and makes the other packages.

This gets around a lot of issues as it makes the original sources
available, makes clear what Axiom needs to patch, and makes sure
that the packages run on the current install since they are built
from sources.

As I find things to patch I'll generally contact the maintainer of the
packages and ask them to accept them. Some patches are so Axiom
specific that it makes no sense and some are just not something the
maintainers would ever want. So the Axiom versions are not forks in
any traditional sense as we are trying hard to track the standard
packaage builds and keep up to date. For example we just moved from
GCL-2.5.2 to GCL-2.6.1 by replacing the tgz, removing accepted patches
and porting Axiom specific patches.  It all went rather smoothly.

For noweb I do the same thing. I'll apply your patches to noweb's
makefiles before I execute them. You'll see the patches show up
in the zips directory with names ending in .patch. These will be
applied (and explained) in the top-level Makefile.

Tim