RE: [Axiom-mail] problem using axiom in texmacs

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-mail] problem using axiom in texmacs
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:59:17 -0400

Koen,

Great! At this stage questions (and suggestions!) are most
welcome.

About variable names (identifiers, literals of type symbols):

TeXmacs and Axiom interact to provide a very flexible way
of creating and display a rich set of mathematical symbols -
In fact, far better than any other computer algebra system,
as far as I know. The key is to make use of the special
"escape" character _ . Inserting this character allows before
the other special characters, e.g. \, {, } allows you to
construct any LaTeX encoded symbol. For example, Greek
letters

  _\alpha _\beta _\gamma ... _\Alpha _\Beta _\Gamma ...
  _\nabla _\angle

A very good reference on the extensive set of special
symbols is

  http://www.bitjungle.com/~isoent/

Beware, TeXmacs does not implement all of these! But so
far with limited testing, I would say "most". If I have
time, I may prepare a TeXmacs-Axiom document listing
the ones that are known to work. [Would someone else
like to take on this little project? <grin> ]

But even better, you can specify fonts for names consisting
of several characters

  _\mathrm_{credit_} - _\mathrm_{debit_}

Remember that the _ character is used to mark the LaTeX
special characters, but they are invisible to TeXmacs.
All multi-character symbols composed in this way are treated
as simple identifiers by Axiom. Although this "name syntax"
might seem a little awkward at first, it is however fully
general. And you can use macros to shorten the typing

  aol ==> _\overline_{_\alpha_}
  aul ==> _\underline_{_\aleph_}

  aol * aul

Please let me know if you find any problems with this.

About simplifying equations:

Axiom has a very powerful rule-based pattern substitution
operator that might do what you want. Try this

  simp := rule %n*('u*'nx+'v*'ny+'w*'nz) == %n*'f

In this rule % means "for any" and ' means "exactly", so
the applying the rule means trying to find the specific
factor that appears inside ( ) and replacing it with the
symbol f.

  simp( W*u*nz+W*v*ny+W*w*nz) )

You should get

  W f