Re: [Axiom-mail] Aldor and Windows

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-mail] Aldor and Windows
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:29:20 -0800 (PST)

--- Bill Page <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dr. Watt,
>
> I am working with Tim Daly on the new open source version
> of Axiom, specifically I have offered to produce a version
> of Axiom that will run under Windows. To that end, I have
> been investigating both Cygwin and MinGW/Msys as potential
> platforms on which to build the windows version. There
> are pros and cons for both: a version of GCL (one of the
> Lisp platforms for Axiom) already exists that compiles
> under Msys, but Msys lacks the ability to run x-windows
> required to run the current version of TeXmacs which is
> one possible GUI for Axiom.

There is a libw11 project on sourceforge which tries to work around
this, but Dan Stanger looked at it for the Garnet lisp interface and
found it had too many limitations and it hasn't released an update in
quite some time.  I'd be surprised if it worked for TeXmacs, but maybe
it would be a starting point?

The other major option is to make TeXmacs work directly with the
Windows GUI, which is not a nice thought.  One thing is likely, though
- if people have to install and run cygwin and X in order to run Axiom,
that could seriously limit the user base on Windows.  For Axiom's
target audience it may not matter much, though - that I don't know.
Since I can't make either work I don't really get a say in any case,
just thought I'd rase the points.

CY