axiom-legal

[Axiom-legal] Re: [Axiom-developer] Back again.

From: C Y
Subject: [Axiom-legal] Re: [Axiom-developer] Back again.
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 14:46:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Andrey G. Grozin" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I agree that it would be much better to replace clef by the de-facto
> standard, readline. But... readline is GPL (not LGPL, and on
> purpose).  This will make axiom+readline to be distributable only
> under GPL.  (Absolutely OK for me, but some people may not like
this).

This is inherent in using GCL itself, actually - IIRC there are some
fairly non-trivial parts of GCL that are GPL and not LGPL.  I don't
know if Axiom can run without them or not.

Working on SBCL should allow for a complete "freer than GPL"
distribution, if that's important.  Personally I prefer that for
simplicity.  However, I am not particularly disturbed by the GPL GCL
either.

linedit is under MIT style license, so a spruced up version of that
would make the solution Lisp only and avoid any issues at all.
Unfortunately it uses UFFI at the moment - the ideal case would be to
have it not need any FFI, but if that is not possible I think CFFI is
the logial target.

Anyway, I don't think it's a pressing issue right now.

Cheers,
CY

 the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news,
photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC