Re: [Axiom-developer] Ad-hoc polymorphism paper

From: Tim Daly
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Ad-hoc polymorphism paper
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 04:55:02 -0400

Indeed. Apparently the bleeding edge is actually Homotopy Type Theory.

I'm taking a course from Robert Harper on the subject now. I'm meeting
with a couple profs over spring break (this week), hoping to interest them
in Axiom. Unfortunately there is no grant funding behind Axiom so I'm
not sure if anything will come of it.

I'm also taking a course with Jeremy Avigad on the details of Lean
and Interactive Theorem Proving. I've been reading the source code
of the Lean kernel to try to understand how it works.

So much to know, so little time.

It is clear, however, that there is a nice mapping between these ideas
and Axiom's ideas. The goal is to get a "thin thread" through the system
that involves a proof of the GCD but to do it in such a way that proofs
become first-class objects, implemented in the Domain and propositions
are types defined in the Category, requiring proof in the Domain.

The idea of 'typeclass' matches the idea of Category (Axiom) nicely.
The idea of 'instance' matches the idea of Domain nicely.

Tim