Re: [Axiom-developer] Under-appreciated aspects of literate programming

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Under-appreciated aspects of literate programming
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2016 00:21:17 +0200

On 08/06/2016 01:28 PM, Tim Daly wrote:
> Methinks I mis-understood your DAG suggestion.
>
> Are you suggesting that the source code is in one DAG
> (src/doc/build/etc) and that bugs are in a parallel DAG?

More or less yes. I think it is a bit like when you document a project
on github.

https://help.github.com/articles/creating-project-pages-manually/

The gh-pages branch is disconnected from the source code (ie, there are
two DAGs, but they live in the same repository.

> Are you also suggesting that the "bug DAG" be a git repo
> separate from the source repo?

Of course, if that are disjoint DAGs, it's easy to make them live in
different repositories. But git allows to handle several disjoint DAGs
in one repository. (My Definition: A "repository" is simply a collection
of git-objects (and the pointers to form DAGs) under a common name).

> In a pile-of-sand (POS) project organized by a directory
> structure would it be just as easy to have a bugs directory
> in every sub-directory? That would seem to fulfill the goal
> but can git have overlapping git-managed directories?

I don't think that a bug directory in every sub-dir would make sense.
Bugs sometimes touch different parts of a program and usually the
submitter of the bug has no idea, in which part of program the bug might
be hidden.

Otherwise I don't understand "overlapping git-managed directories" to be
able to give a good answer.

> Your bugseverywhere.org <http://bugseverywhere.org> link seems to cover most
> of my
> suggestions (except certain LP-specific ones).

Well, that's what I found and what (I think) would be good, but read
also
http://travisbrown.ca/blog.html#TooMuchAboutDistributedBugTracking2013-04-20
There are lots of things to consider before one embarks on a particular
distributed bugtracker. Obviously, in contrast to distributed version
control systems, the world hasn't yet seen a great acceptance of
distributed bugtrackers.

Ralf