[Axiom-developer] "Sage-type" notebook in a web browser

From: Alasdair McAndrew
Subject: [Axiom-developer] "Sage-type" notebook in a web browser
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:12:34 +1100

One of the to-do's at

http://www.axiom-developer.org/axiom-website/currentstate.html

is "Write Notebook Front End".

I think that this should be do-able by somebody with expertise, and with time on their hands (i.e, not me!).  Sage does it by simply piggy-backing on iPython (http://ipython.org/), which provides a full API for a web-based notebook.

Other languages which have used iPython for this include Julia (http://julialang.org/), with its IJulia package (https://github.com/JuliaLang/IJulia.jl) and Haskell with IHaskell (https://github.com/gibiansky/IHaskell).  Other examples are given at https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/Projects-using-IPython.  Given iPython, I would have thought that it would be quite possible to write a front end for Axiom, which applies LaTeX to the output so as to give nicely formatted display (again, I think this is provided by iPython).

One of the problems seems to me is that for whatever reason, Axiom is niche software, and doesn't have the user base of either Maxima or Sage.  It might be hard to garner support for such projects as this.

Just a thought.

-Alasdair