Re: [Axiom-developer] Overflow

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Overflow
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 10:45:04 -0500

Udo Ott,

As you might be aware, the message:

  frame stack overflow

is generated by the Lisp system apon which the version of Axiom that
you are using is built. Exactly how to configure the Lisp memory
configuration to allow a greater depth of recursion or other possible
constraints is highly dependent on the particular version of Lisp you
are using. I expect that Axiom-Ubuntu-64Bit is using GCL but I am not
certain. If so you might look online for configuration suggestions
from GCL users.  Axiom and especially it's variants OpenAxiom and
FriCAS can be built with several different Lisp systems and each
manages memory a little differently so it is possible that you might
get more "mileage" with Axiom (or OpenAxiom or FriCAS) built with some
other Lisp such as SBCL, CLISP, or ECL.  Again, exactly how to do this
depends on the particular variant of Axiom and Lisp.

You may be able to find some hints about this at
http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org For example the page

  http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/SandBoxAldorGenerator

but like most wiki's this information is only as good as the
dedication of the people who created and modified the page.

AXIOM-XL is an obsolete name for Aldor which many years ago was
intended to become the "next generation" compiler for Axiom. At this
time only the FriCAS project supports the use of Aldor. Due to
licensing constraints Aldor must be compiled separately from FriCAS.
See http://www.aldor.org  or
http://algebraist.origo.ethz.ch/wiki/algebraist.  When used with
FriCAS the code generated by Aldor is compiled using the same
underlying Lisp system, so memory constraints are similar to using
SPAD.  But Aldor can also be used in a "stand alone" mode in which it
compiles and links to a C runtime system.  In this case the memory
usage is likely to be quite different (although not necessary better)
than when using Lisp.

I hope some of this information helps.