Re: [Axiom-developer] Literate Programming -- Knuth interview

From: Martin Baker
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Literate Programming -- Knuth interview
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 08:42:42 +0000

Tim,

One issue that occurred to me on this subject. It seems to me the point of
HTML and hypertext is that they are not a linear book. What I like about this
is that the reader can start at a high level with a small and concise page but
they can drill down to any level of detail they may need. Also there can be
different entry points for different types of readers such as end users as
well as programmers. It would be good if all these types of 'documentation'
could be produced by the same tools and advanced end users could drill down to
information originally intended for programmers. Using standard code libraries
its probably easier to access HTML user documentation/'help files' from within
the program rather than writing custom code like hyperdoc.

I can see the advantages in putting the literate 'documentation' interleaved
in the same file as the code. However there also seem to be a lot of
disadvantages such as making the above ideas more difficult?

Martin