[Axiom-developer] Re: GCL for intel mac

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: GCL for intel mac
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 18:59:03 -0400

Greetings!

address@hidden writes:

>> I'm working with wine and mingw32 cross compiler at the moment with
>> success.  If this is of interest I can provide some instructions.  For
>> native builds, I can point you to a coworker who handles this for the
>> gcl project.
>>
>> Is this port important in your opinion?
>
> Eventually. I do want to get a windows port running.
> Instructions would help.

I think this should work for both Ubuntu and Debian cross compiling:

install mingw32, mingw32-runtime, mingw32-binutils and wine.

Now there is a bug in wine which they won't fix.  system() will run a
unix process, e.g. the C compiler, but not wait for it to complete.
Therefore before beginning to run gcl, one must cd into unixport and
run the following shell script:

#!/bin/sh

cd $(dirname $0)
while true ; do
      if [ -e lckk ] ; then
         if ! pidof $(basename $(awk '{print $1}' lckk)); then
             echo $(cat lckk) is done
             rm lckk;
         fi
      fi
      sleep 0.1;
done &

One then applies a small patch I'm finalizing which detects running
under wine and waits on the lockfile when running system() when found.
Then it is simply

export PATH=/usr/i586-mingw32msvc/bin:$PATH
CC=/usr/bin/i586-mingw32msvc-gcc ./configure --host=mingw32 && make

Let me know if you'd like to try the patch.  If it passes all my
tests, it will be going into cvs shortly anyway.  I thought I could
get around the lockfile business, but the wine developers say this is
the best option.

We have a native windows user (Donald Winiecki) testing these binaries
separately (thanks so much!).

>> BTW, axiom-developer.com is down again, and I would love to be able to
>> ensure that the windows stuff doesn't break the mac.
>
> Sorry about that. I'm away on a business trip until friday.
> My girlfriend is working until midnight.
> I'll walk her thru the restart on tuesday morning.

No rush, please only do what is convenient.  Just trying to get 2.6.8
out of the way at last.

BTW, 20100701 being uploaded into Debian this evening.

Take care,