[Axiom-developer] Understanding Axiom.

From: Grigory Sarnitskiy
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Understanding Axiom.
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 12:30:15 +0400

I think I don't understand some aspects of Axiom.

Imagine I want to have a function that returns the derivative of real-valued
function of one real variable, something like

Deriv  : ((Float) -> Float) -> ((Float) -> Float)

I want Deriv to handle symbolic computation, not (Deriv f) to be some numeric
algorithm to return value for every point.
So may be for symbolic computation I need another type, not ((Float) -> Float)
-> ((Float) -> Float) ?

What type should I use to deal symbolically with real valued functions of real
valuables? I guess most natural type like (Float -> Float) won't help.