[Axiom-developer] Re: A bit of statistics trivia for Maple and Mathemati

From: TimDaly
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: A bit of statistics trivia for Maple and Mathematica
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 06:54:10 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 19, 8:55 am, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <address@hidden> wrote:
> I did a count of the number of functions in Mathematica 7 the other day, and
> I figured I should do one like this for Maple as well. So, here are some
> stats, maybe some might find them interesting.
>
> Mathematica 7:
> ============
> The System (i.e kernel) contains 1,920 functions.
> It comes with additional 35 standard packages that can be loaded using
> Get[];
> Total number of functions in the system and the packages combined is 2,561
>
> Maple 12:
> =======
> System top level commands and what is called the standard libraries: 678
> It comes with additional 116 packages that can be loaded using with();
> Total number of functions in all of the above combined is 3,902
>
> For the complete listing showing package and what functions in it in both
> system are here
>
> Maple 12http://12000.org/my_notes/maple_functions/final.html
>
> Mathematica
> 7http://12000.org/my_notes/compare_mathematica/mma7_functions/process....
>
> I do not claim the above does not contain any errors. I am just a user.
>
> May be we can get a count for some of the other CAS systems out there?
>
> Yes, I know, counting number of functions can be misleading as an indication
> of the functionality provided by the system. As one function can be
> implemented to have many different options which ends up doing the work of
> 50 other smaller functions...but still, useful to get an idea about this.
>
> Notice, this is just for functions that come with the system out of the box.
> no third-party stuff.
>
> --Nasser

Well, the question is not well-formed in Axiom terms since names are
overloaded by inheritance. So + for Integers is not the same function
as + for Polynomials. However, a count of the user-exposed functions
available from the top level can be shown by the command
   )d op
with no chosen operation. The raw counts are:
 5434 Unique functions
 3052 Unique function names (e.g. + Integer, + Poly)