Re: [Axiom-developer] Embedding Axiom

From: Stephen Wilson
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Embedding Axiom
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 22:46:15 -0500

Hi Tim,

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:35:00PM -0500, Tim Daly wrote:
> This is a request for design discussion for those who are interested.

Your message is very interesting.

> I have some plans on how to get "from here to there" in a slow, incremental
> fashion. These plans involve things like finding the basis-set of the algebra
> in terms of lisp functions and then trying to find a closure of this basis set
> so that the algebra embeds cleanly in this set. The compiler should compile
> that basis set into an embedding in the prior layer. Lisp can support this by
> defining domain-specific languages for each layer and macros from one layer to
> another.

Could you please expand on this point?  How do you propose to do this
incrementally from an implementation point of view?  I am asking these questions
from an engineering standpoint.  In particular, are you suggesting a rewrite
(essentially from scratch, using the current implementation as a guide)?

--
steve