Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] finding source code

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: [Axiom-mail] finding source code
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:12:40 -0400

Bertfried,

I think it's great to have this quick introduction - especially when
it also references what is currently implemented in Axiom and what
might be done in the future.  I hope that we can eventually have a
tutorial including actual Axiom code. If you start to develop
something like that I would be very glad to help add it to the
axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org web site!

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:26 AM, Bertfried Fauser wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
>> So yes, I am interested, but I don't know how much I could do.
>
> OK, I got this disclaimer, anybody states it :-))
>
>> As I say, I don't have a rigorous mathematical background,
>
> No worries, most things with Clifford algebras are easy.
>
> Clifford and Grassmann bases:
>
> Mathematically its sound to start with the Grassmann algebra, you have
> the following ingrediences:
>
> V an n-dim vector space
> /\ : V x V ... x V --> /\^n V  the unital, associative antisymmetric
>   exterior product or Grassmann or wedge product (all sysnonyms)

Although I think your somewhat more formal approach is very important
in the context of Axiom, you might also be interested in the more
applied approach presented by John Browne here:

http://sites.google.com/site/grassmannalgebra/bookandpackageversions

"This Grassmann algebra project has been a part-time project dating
from my doctoral thesis in the area in 1978. In October 2001 I
published an incomplete book draft "Grassmann Algebra: Exploring
applications of extended vector algebra with Mathematica" on my
university home page. The computations in this draft were done with
early versions of Mathematica and draft versions of the
GrassmannAlgebra package. ..."

John also makes his Mathematica code available online. It would be
great to have this kind of package available in Axiom.